Get to Austin – Then Keep it Weird
“Keep Austin Weird,” has been the slogan of Texas’ capital city since the early 2000’s. Coined by a local community college librarian, it became a method to encourage support for the area’s small businesses. For nearly two decades, the mantra has grown to personify the unique nature of this growing city in the Lone Star State. Austin, TX is home to one of the most vibrant live music scenes, great BBQ, and one of the most inclusive communities in the state. It will also play host to the 2020 NASPA Conference and for NASPA Attendees to contribute to Austin’s weirdness, they have to get there.
Give Yourself some Buffer Time
Whether you plan on flying or hitting I-35 to make your way to Austin, you want to make time for the unexpected. Security checkpoint lines can be long (even with TSA Precheck), freeways can get congested, detours can happen. Any number of unforeseen issues can add minutes to your travel time and if you are not prepared, you could see yourself sprinting towards a gate or cutting things close with your arrival. Giving yourself a little lead time can help you avoid the stressors of travel and keep you in good spirits as you make your way down to the 512.
From the Airport
The Austin-Bergstrom International airport can be easy to navigate. To get from the airport you’ll have a few options for transportation:
- Rideshare: Both Lyft and Uber are used widely in Austin. The pickup location for a rideshare is in the parking garage across from the baggage claim area. There are videos on the airport website for the easiest way to navigate to the rideshare pickup. You may want to wait until you get to the rideshare pickup to order a ride because it will take a few minutes to get there from the baggage claim area.
- Capital Metro Bus: The 20 Route goes from the airport to downtown. You can purchase a 7-day unlimited pass in advance and have it mailed to you. This is a great option if you would like to see some of the city. Or, if you only want to get downtown, you can pay for a single ride fare when you get on the bus for $1.25. If you want to use the bus later, you can plan a trip online or by using the CapMetro app available for iPhone and Android.
- Taxis are also available immediately outside of the baggage claim area if preferred.
Getting Around at the Conference
The Austin Convention Center is located within walking distance to lodging, eateries, attractions, and convenience stores. Should you have a desire to venture further away from the conference to discover more of Austin, Capital Metro, Austin's regional public transportation provider is well equipped to meet your needs. Serving more than 500 square miles and with costs being $3.50 per single ride, Capital Metro provides an efficient and cost-effective option for NASPA Attendees.
If you are looking for a little more fun (or if you’re a daredevil) you can also access one of the several bike share or scooter share apps that Austin has to offer. Austin has taken great steps to ensure the safety for all pedestrians and motorists. Please see the following guidelines furnished by Austin’s local government regarding scooters:
- Pedestrians First - Yield to people walking on sidewalks.
- Park Responsibly - Park in a secure, upright position in designated areas, such as furniture zones of sidewalks, public bike racks, and other marked parking zones. On sidewalks, give at least 3 feet of clearance for accessibility.
- Stay on Right of Way - Do not take micromobility devices to unauthorized areas, such as private property, parkland, or state-owned land, unless otherwise authorized.
- Know What You're Sharing - Users have access to shared micromobility services without having to share personally identifiable information and can opt into data sharing only after getting clear information about what data will be shared.
- Right and Report - If you see a unit toppled over or parked improperly, help out by righting the unit and reporting the issue to Austin 3-1-1.
#NASPA2020 promises to be a great experience for attendees to network and participate in the exchange of ideas and knowledge. We don’t accomplish this goal without all the great minds that make NASPA their conference home each year. However, for these great minds to get together, there is one rule above all else that must be followed, and that is to travel safely.