Welcome to Kansas City
Hello! We are Kim Kushner and Richard Monroe, your Kansas City Experience Co-Chairs for the 2021 NASPA Annual Conference in Kansas City, Missouri. We are both excited to welcome everyone to the beautiful city of Kansas City, located right in the heart of the United States! Kansas City is an extraordinary place due to its culture, people, and all of the things to do and explore.
Kansas City, Missouri, is a city unlike any other. You will feel like you have stepped right into the history, experiencing some of our nation's most influential cultural, architectural, and agricultural establishments. From historic and modern venues to the tunes of original Jazz music, and to the mouthwatering taste of the authentic Kansas City barbeque, we hope you can use all of your senses to experience how our city set the foundation for the westward expansion of the United States.
We invite you to come and stay awhile in what is known as the “New Midwest.” We also invite you to explore some of our favorites, which include:
- Honor our veterans at the Nation’s only National WWI Museum and Memorial
- Visit over 200 stunning historical fountains across the city
- Explore some of the world’s most celebrated museums and attractions, like the Crossroads Art District, the National Museum of Toy and Miniatures, the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art (Kim especially loves picnicking amongst the exhibits outside), and public art murals across our diverse neighborhoods
- Ride the KC Streetcar to its terminus and journey through Union Station, an iconic piece of Kansas City culture
- Wander around the Kansas City Zoo, a perfect family-friendly destination (Richard’s family loves the new elephant exhibit)
- Celebrate the 2019 Super Bowl champions and enjoy Kansas City’s sports culture
- Eat and drink your way through downtown, from comfort foods to local beer and spirits to anything you crave that matches your desired price point
Everywhere you look, great things are happening in our city! The best part--a lot of venues and attractions are free! It's hard to leave once you visit the beautiful city of Kansas City. After attending the 2021 NASPA Annual Conference, you’ll definitely want to come back for more! We promise!
Traveling to the 2021 NASPA Annual Conference is just as easy as visiting itself. Over 55 million people are within a day’s drive of Kansas City and the city is only a three-hour flight from the east and west coasts. The Kansas City International Airport is about 20 minutes from downtown, and the 2021 NASPA Annual Conference is held right in the center of downtown Kansas City. We encourage you to whet your appetite to visit the great city of Kansas City, Missouri, by reviewing the 2020 Official Guide for Visit KC.
We are also aware that budgets may be tight. Our Kansas City Experience subcommittee is working on finding inexpensive food options, entertainment venues, family-friendly activities, and more to ensure you have the best conference experience possible. For now, we want to share 33 free Kansas City adventures you can look forward to.
We are both very excited to invite our NASPA colleagues to the great city of Kansas City and are looking forward to seeing you on March 21-24, 2021.